Thursday, June 16, 2016

Too Good to be True But It Is

I Timothy 6:11 (NAS)
…and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness

Pursue: (1) to follow in order to overtake or capture; chase (2) to follow a specified course, action (3) to strive for

Paul told Timothy to steer clear of one thing especially-the love of money.

“Timothy, let me warn you about something. Men who have as their goal becoming wealthy expose themselves to all sorts of temptations. It’s one of the most common traps that Satan will use in the world. These men become obsessed with money and how to get it, and will do all sorts of foolish and wicked things, passionately pursuing their desire for wealth. This can separate them from their faith and even destroy them and when they become aware of what they have done they agonize over their foolishness (I Timothy 6:9-10, my paraphrase).

Then, he told Timothy: Run from this trap, my dearly beloved Timothy. Instead of this, pursue . . .. Pursue what, Paul? Righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness. And you immediately retaliate: “I’ve tried and tried and tried-and I just can’t be all of those things, Anabel. It’s beyond my capability.”

Let me share something with you that will set you free and completely amaze you-you’ll shake your head with wonder and gratitude and whisper, “How incredible!”

What is righteousness? My Identity

What is godliness? My character

What is faith? My source

What is love? My motivation

What is perseverance? My mind-set

What is gentleness? My behavior toward others.

Do you realize that you don’t have to pursue these things? They are yours! They are mine! How? Through our beloved Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, who is the personification of all those things! He changed me. I am a new creation because of my relationship with Him! I AM all of those things-righteousness, godliness, love, perseverance, gentleness because He is-and He is in me-and will be through me.

Oh, I tried for so many years to BE righteous and godly, loving and determined, being all that folks needed me to be-gentle, thoughtful and kind. I must confess that I failed and then lived in depression for weeks because of my failure. But I refused to stay down: I’d painfully pull myself up, dust myself off and try, try, try again-and fail!

Then, I became an instructed Christian and found that all that I am or ever hope to be is wrapped up in Him-not my struggling and failing or my success and celebrations!1 That is faith. Faith is living like God tells the truth. Faith is walking like the person He made me to be. Faith is trusting Him to come through. Will He?

With apologies to Whittier: Alas for him who has not learned in hours of faith, the truth to flesh and sense unknown, that God’s promises never fail and He will never deceive His own.

Meet the real you. Meet the real me. We’re pretty neat people, you know. God made us that way! Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift to us-Jesus Christ (II Cor. 9:15)!


- Annabel Gillham

No comments :