Monday, August 1, 2016

This is Mine?

I love You, O Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge;
My shield, my great and powerful Savior, my high tower.
I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised,
And I am saved from my enemies.
Psalm 18: 1-3

Are there times when you feel like you’re being dragged along, you can’t get a footing, you have nothing for an anchor, and you desperately need something that would bring stability into your life? Maybe something like a great big rock–with secure hand holds–nothing slippery or sharp–and a flat place where you could sit down or stand and observe the turbulence around you but be completely untouched?

How about those times when you wish you could run into an impenetrable fortress, slam the door, drop a heavy beam down that would keep anyone from opening the door, and you could just heave a sigh of relief and collapse? Sounds nice, doesn’t it?

Is anyone still alive who can remember the saga of “The Perils of Pauline”–a serial at the Saturday movies eons ago? It would always end with the heroine, Pauline, in a terrifying situation dreamed up by the villain–all trussed up and about to be sawn in two by the huge lumber saw coming closer and closer, or dropped off a cliff, or hit by an onrushing train? (We would, of course, be sure to attend next Saturday where we saw her deliverer rescue her out of this horrible, impossible situation!) “My hero!” Was always Pauline’s next line. (We read her lips!)

Perhaps you have longed for something to shield you from the hurts of your world? Something that would keep those ugly words, the rejection, or the tragedies in your life from hitting you and destroying you? “They hurt so badly! Where can I turn? What can I do?”

I know around Poteau (my home town) there are these tall, tall towers in isolated mountainous places that game wardens use to watch for forest fires or any thing that might harm their assigned territory. I have never had the slightest desire–not the slightest! –to climb up to the little house sitting precariously at the top of the ladder, but I understand they can be locked, are comfortable, heated, and have a small supply of food. You talk about being safe! Bears can climb trees, but they can’t climb a ladder that tall and should anyone or anything make the perilous climb to the top they would find the door locked tight. Sounds like a nice place to run when your world is topsy-turvy. (Want to go with me?)

What have we left out of these verses? You are so right! “My great and powerful Savior!” This great and powerful Savior wants to be your Rock, your Fortress, your Deliverer, your Shield, and your High Tower.* As you stand on Him–your Rock–you can shiver as you see the turbulent waters reaching for you, but you’re safe! You have an unshakable Foundation and He is right there with you! The door to your Fortress is always open for you and He loves to be your Hero–the One to deliver you from the perils of your world! He will shield you, protect you, and lead you safely to your High Tower.

Psalm 18: 1-3–memorize those verses. I have. In my Bible they are colored red, (for important), highlighted with yellow, in a box that I drew around them, and marked up with cross-references. Why? Because I need all of those things. And a human cannot possibly fulfill those needs, that’s too much to expect from anyone in your circle. Only your Great and Mighty Savior can be all of those things for you.

The question is, do I allow Him to BE all of those things for me? Is He lying to me? Are those just “sometimes He is” verses? Can I possibly grasp His amazing role in my life? It is so incredible! I truly desire this. Show me, Lord.

I call upon the name of the Lord and I am saved…

But it isn’t sacrificial bullocks or goats that I want from you. For all the animals of field and forest are mine! The cattle on a thousand hills! And all the birds upon the mountains! If I were hungry I would not mention it to you–for all the world is mine and everything in it. No, I don’t need your sacrifices of flesh and blood. What I want from you is your true thank; I want your promises fulfilled. I want you to trust Me in your times of trouble, so I can rescue you, and you can give Me glory. (Psalm 50:9-15 TLB)

By Anabel Gillham

No comments :