Thursday, September 7, 2017

Mr Fixit

Recently I travelled downtown to do some shopping when I met a young lady who began to share with me some of the difficulties that she was facing within her family, church and work.

After listening to some of her issues I then proceeded to remind her of her identity in Christ as well as quoting other Scriptures.

When I arrived home I began to reflect on my response to her issues.  I became very disturbed about my response.  Although what I had spoken to her was biblically true, I nevertheless felt that it wasn’t helpful.

As I meditated upon the situation, I asked myself why it was that I had to fix her situation and make her happy?  Why is it that in the face of other people’s difficulties we have to be the Saviour and feel we must fix their situation?

Naturally we want people to be happy and to be stress less. But it’s quite possible that we may be working against the purposes of God in their life by putting some scriptural band-aid over their situation.

I also asked myself what would have been a better response?

I think I should have responded in a kind and empathetic way by asking, “What do you think God might be doing in your situation?” And, “What is it that you are learning in your relationship with God through these difficulties?”

Rather than my trying to fix their situation, these sorts of questions help them to see that God is at work in their lives even in the midst of tribulation, and that they can benefit by their faith and trust being strengthened, and their personal relationship with God being cemented, as He continues to conform them to the image of His Son.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it’s not what I can do or say that’s important, but it’s our own personal relationship with our heavenly Father that will get us through each and every difficult time. Others can stand with us and encourage us, but in the final analysis, it is my trust, my faith, in my heavenly Father that counts in the end.  Having said that however, it really is important to realise that it’s His grip on me that will carry me through each and every situation, rather than my grip on Him.

- Roger O. L. Hart

No comments :