Thursday, March 29, 2018

The New Tolerance

If you are alive, you’ve noticed. But perhaps this article will give language for it.

We live in a day where there is profound intolerance exercised in the name of tolerance. I call it “the new tolerance.”

It goes something like this.

“If you don’t agree with my beliefs and my value system, then you’re intolerant.”

Which being interpreted means: “In the name of tolerance, I’m intolerant of everyone who doesn’t bow to my values and beliefs.”

Or

“I’m intolerant of everyone except those who agree with me, and in the name of tolerance, I will brand them intolerant.”

What is tolerance?

True tolerance doesn’t force people to adopt a belief system, whatever it may be.

True tolerance can “agree to disagree” and go on with one’s life in peace without ever entering into a social media smackdown over politics, ethics, or theology.

True tolerance values all mortals as made in God’s image, and therefore, regards them worthy of love, while at the same time pointing out areas of disagreement and even condemning beliefs and actions that violate God’s will.

Disagreeing with a person’s habits, values, or ideas isn’t the equivalent of hating, fearing, despising, or wishing them ill.

Loving a person doesn’t mean approving their practices or beliefs.

Love and approval aren’t the same thing.

Even God doesn’t always approve those whom He loves.

Jesus, who is the human face of God, said so much:

“He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.”

~ Luke 6:35

By contrast, the new tolerance says, “I will tolerate everything except those who disagree with me.”

That, dear friends, is an extremely intolerant tolerance.

Let it not be so among the people of God.

- Frank Viola

No comments :