Sunday, September 16, 2018

Obstacles

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky.
                                                                      Clement Moore

“I know those words! Where do they come from? Say the rest of it, Anabel! Help me! Give me a clue.” Yes, you know them. You’ve heard them every Christmas for most of your life probably. Those familiar words are from The Night before Christmas by Clement Moore. Remember them, now? How much more do you know? Have fun looking it up.

I’m drawing pictures for us again. Can you see the dry leaves being driven by the fierce wind? You’ve watched leaves racing madly down the street in front of you many times. And can you see one of them fall to the ground when it’s thrown up against a barrier–an obstacle? It may be battered, but when the wind hits it again, it rushes frantically to higher ground. (Not always. I know that, but let’s find out together where I’m going.)

I’ve talked to those who have said things like this:

“I’m rushing madly around and I have no idea where I’m going!”

“It’s like I’m being dragged–like I don’t have any control!”

“It’s a driving force that gives me no rest.” And other such helpless remarks.

I understand. That happens to us in this world. You know, of course, that Jesus calls Satan, “The ruler of this world” (John 14:30). We are living in a world where bad things happen, where the ‘ruler of this world’ tempts us, torments us, cajoles us, lies to us, drives us, and doesn’t let up, hoping to cause us to reject Christ Jesus and His “shallow, worthless promises” about caring for us and place ourselves under his “compassionate” control.

So we are like the dry leaves driven relentlessly by the force of the hurricanes in our world and then we smash into an obstacle and when the next blow comes we head for Him because we have finally realized that we are helpless without Him. I don’t know why we wait until we hit the proverbial “brick wall” but how many times have I been there? Battered, bruised, helpless, and completely exhausted mentally, physically, and spiritually. When that happens I “mount to the sky” and there I find the solace that only He can give.

Do I fully grasp the truth that He is always with me, even when I’m being whipped around by fierce winds? When I’m lying exhausted before an obstacle too great for my feeble strength? I think when I finally accept that as truth and say, “All right. You are with me no matter how forceful or destructive the circumstances are around me. I believe that. I rest in that.” Maybe–just maybe–if I know that truth, I won’t worry too much about the forces swirling menacingly around me. Thank You, Lord Jesus,”

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength;

They shall mount up with wings like eagles;

they shall run and not be weary;

they shall walk and not faint.

Isaiah 40:31

By Anabel Gillham on September 13, 2018

No comments :