Thursday, March 19, 2020

Easter Reflection - 02 (Copied from Fleming Rutledge's Book)

I wonder if you would agree with me that we live in a time when it has become popular to be one of two things in America; either generically religious or completely secular. From where I sit orthodox, biblical Christianity is not considered cool. As members of Christian churches drift further and further away from knowledge of the Bible and historical doctrine, it is therefore becoming more and more difficult to help people understand that Christianity is not just one of many religions, that it can't be blended together with yoga and tarot cards and self-help and Angel worship to make a bigger and better religious hybrid.

Why not?

There is one definitive answer to that question and it is the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. I believe that all of you here today know that already. I don't think you would be here if you didn't have at least a glimmer of an idea that the crucifixion is an event unique in the history of religion and that it demands our awed and undivided attention. It is my prayer today that the crucified Lord himself would be present during these three hours by his Holy Spirit, in my words and in your hearts, for in his risen glory he is indeed able to make the message of the cross a living and breathing power - power for radically re-orientated living.

No comments :