Monday, January 16, 2023

What is faith?

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:29–30)

The gospel declares that God will provide the faith that you need. Indeed, the gift of grace comes wrapped in faith (Romans 10:17). But what is faith?

Faith is a rest: “Take my yoke upon you and you will find rest for your souls.”

Faith is allowing yourself to be persuaded that God is good and he longs to be good to you. When you are persuaded, the issue is settled and your mind is at rest.

In a world of heavy burdens, Grace comes offering rest. Unbelief responds, “Leave me alone, I’m busy.” But faith responds, “Rest, you say? I’ll have some of that, thank you very much!”

It’s a totally different way to live and nothing like the DIY religion many of us have been raised on.

“For anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest” (Hebrews 4:10–11).

The gospel is not an invitation to pick up tools, but to drop them.

The gospel is not a job advertisement, but a holiday.

The gospel is not a day of work; it’s a day of rest.

Grace declares, “It is finished, the work is done,” and faith responds, “Thank you, Jesus!”

Faith is not something you must do or manufacture. Faith is resting in the restful persuasion that God is at rest, and in him so are we.

Why not share this good news with friends today?

- Paul Ellis

No comments :