Friday, January 17, 2014

My Prayer

Lord, thank you for not giving up on me. Thank you for not washing your hands of me. Thank you for not turning your back on me and my brokenness.

Lord, thank you for not considering me a hopeless case; for not shrugging your shoulders and walking away from my innumerable failures, great and small.

Lord, thank you for believing in me when I can't believe in myself.

Thank you for hoping in me when I cant hope in myself. Thank you for trusting me when I can't trust myself.

Thank you, Lord, for being my Father who believes in me, who hopes in me, who trusts me and loves me forever and ever no matter what.

Lord, forgive me for thinking that your love for me and my love for you can be measured with the same yardstick.

Your love for me doesn't depend on what I do for you, Your love for me doesn't falter in the face of silence. 

Your love for me doesn't shrivel in the face of my refusal to respond.

Your love for me doesn't use me, force me, manipulate me or coerce me. Your love for me is free, and it sets me free.

Forgive me, Lord, for trying to do to you what your love won't allow you to do to me.
And even now you say to me, "Throw away that yardstick!"

Lord, I'm so happy that you re God!

- Brennan Manning

No comments :