Saturday, April 16, 2016

Facing Today

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart exults, and with my song I shall thank Him." Psalm 28:7

I open my eyes and think about today and all that I have to do. It may be getting all of the materials prepared for Vacation Bible School; it may be going to the hospital to spend the day with my wife who has cancer that cannot be contained; finishing a thesis, facing surgery, or any number of stressful things. You may be filled with apprehension, fear, pain, loneliness, or weariness. Trauma may come but then, it may not come. Pressure will be heavy or not so heavy. It doesn’t matter; He has told us how to face our TODAY.

There are so many verses that apply to our daily walk here on this planet called Earth, that is sometimes tiresome and boring, at times exhilarating, at other times hazardous. God has talked to us through His word and has told us how to face each day. Picture Him sitting down at the breakfast table with you. You outline all of your activities for the day.

Now, listen to Him tell you what to do. Listen carefully.

Let’s summarize what He is saying to us. By the way, it is better to read one verse over and over and over–memorize it–hold it tightly in your fist and live it, believe it, repeat it to yourself through your day than to read ten verses that you can’t recall once you close your Bible. Grab one verse and hold on to it tenaciously.

"The Lord is my strength and my shield:"
This is a declaration of my faith.
He is my strength: He enables me to meet each day. It is His strength, His wisdom, His patience in me–everything that I need to face the day–and it will not wane.
I go from strength to strength… Ps. 84:7

He is my shield: He protects me. He surrounds me. He wards off blows that come from the evil around me. Picture this. A valiant Warrior is encircling you every minute of the day with His shield and His sword. He is our Conquering Hero and He has told you, “I will take care of you.”

"It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you. He will not fail you. Do not fear or be dismayed." Deut. 31:8

"My heart trusts in Him,"

I have committed this day to Him: I believe He has made provision for me, has provided me with all I need to live this day. There is no one else to whom I can look for such provision. I keep my mind set on this truth and soundly reject thoughts to the contrary.

"And I am helped;"

My circumstances are altered: Either by removal of the circumstances, by a deeper understanding of the circumstances, by wisdom to meet the circumstances, or by grace to live with the circumstances.

"Let us come boldly into the very throne room of God that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in times of need." Hebrews 4:16

"Therefore my heart exults,"

The results on the inside: My mind accepts these facts. My emotions may pay attention, they may not, but I have an inner peace. I am confident as I face this day. I know some things that I did not know or I have accepted them as necessary for facing my day.

"And with my song I shall thank Him."

Manifestations on the “outside”: Praise; thanksgiving; singing; radiating my confidence in Him.

"Give thanks to the Lord, call upon His holy name; Make known His deeds among the people. Sing to Him, sing praises to Him; Speak of all His wonders, Glory in His holy name; Let the heart of those who seek the Lord be glad. Seek the Lord and His strength; Seek His face continually." Psalm 105:1-4

And I find at the end of the day that He has kept His word. Thank You, Lord.

By Anabel Gillham


No comments :