Sunday, December 13, 2015

Are You Sure THIS Is The Christian Life?

Law will cause a person to say, "Lord, help me to do the things you want me to do." In other words, "Help me keep your rules." Grace will cause a person to say, "Lord Jesus, I am abiding in You and You in me. Express Your Life through me in any way You desire." It isn't uncommon for Christians to think that God has a long list of things He wants His children to do. But in 1 Thessalonians 5:24 we read, "He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it." Not only does Christ call us to the Christian life, but He will also live it for us.

When God determines to bring us to brokenness so that Christ can live His life through us and we keep trying to live it ourselves, things will keep getting harder. When does it stop? When we reach the end of our self-sufficiency and have given up all hope in our own resources. Peter Lord has said, "Wouldn't it be awful to spend all your life trying to make God an apple pie, only to die and discover He never liked apple pie?" To ask God to help us live for Him is to request some sort of divine blessing on our effort to "do what He wants us to do." But that isn't what God desires. Being preoccupied with serving Christ more than with Jesus Himself is a subtle threat to every Christian. Self-effort is the essence of legalism. It is pointless to pray to God to help you to live for Him. That may be your goal, but it isn't His.

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are
heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from
Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For My yoke is easy and My burden is
light."


- Steve McVey

No comments :