Tuesday, December 22, 2015

"Planned Pregnancy"

By Anabel Gillham

"All right then, the Lord himself will give you the sign. Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son and will call him Immanuel (which means ‘God is with us’)." Isaiah 7:14 (NLT)

Mary is large with the child in her womb. Her first child . . . and the baby is due just any time now. She watches out the window as Joseph is making preparations for the trip to Bethlehem.

Oh why must we go to Bethlehem now? I’m so big and uncomfortable. Lord God, I want to be here at home when I have my baby, with my family and friends around to help and encourage me. I don’t know anyone at all in Bethlehem. Just to be in my own bedroom. Please, God, let me have my baby here in Nazareth. Its such a little thing to ask of You, and the trip is going to be so long and wearisome and painful for me. Would it matter terribly much where the baby is born?

Mary might have prayed that way. But then, Mary didn’t know that her baby had to be born in Bethlehem. You see, the conception took place at the right time for the baby to come when they were in Bethlehem — that was nine months in advance: The shepherds had been chosen; the weather was planned; the star was in the right place; the wise men were on their way; other events in Herod’s life had brought his jealousy to the boiling point; every person had carried out his part of the program, even renting all of the available rooms! Everything was ready in Bethlehem for the long-awaited prophecy to be fulfilled.

God had made His plans.
Dear, dear Mary. You didn’t know all of those things, did you? And it did seem like such a small favor to ask. . . . O Lord, the prayers I utter are spoken in ignorance of Your plans for my life and Your plans for my beloved family, just like Mary. And sometimes it seems to me that it would be such an easy thing for you to answer my prayer in the way I want You to. To me it isn’t an earthshaking decision, and Ive thought it out so carefully.
Please, Father, follow through on Your plans. I retract my petition. I didn’t realize that You had everything ready.

"This plan of mine is not what you would work out, neither are my thoughts the same as yours! For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than yours, and my thoughts than yours." (Isaiah 55:8,9 TLB)

No comments :